Charles Alfred Ogg

 
(1867-1932)  
Architect 150 Years: 150 Lives
 

Born 15 June 1867, the son of Charles Ogg a chemist of Collins Street, Melbourne and educated at Queen’s College, St. Kilda.  Serving his articles with the famed architects “Reed & Barnes”, in 1891 Ogg entered into partnership with Sydney W. Smith, later “Sydney Smith, Ogg & Serpell” and remained with the firm until his retirement from ill health in 1931; the firm was originally established by Smith’s father in 1852.  Amongst the buildings the firm designed include the Carlton Brewery, Bouverie Street Carlton, in stages between 1890 and 1927; Harley House, Collins Street (1923); the old London Inn, Market Street; buildings for “John Danks and Son”, Bourke Street; Kilkenny Inn, cnr King and Lonsdale Streets, Melbourne (1913); the private hospitals of Milton House, Flinders Lane (1901) and Eastbourne House, Wellington Parade (1901) in association with Robert Haddon (Box Hill Cemetery) who worked briefly with the firm (1889-92); and the Port Authority Building, 29-31 Market Street (1929) for the Melbourne Harbour Trust which was later awarded the Royal Victorian Institute of Architects’ Street Architecture medal in 1933.  Residing at Rosecourt - 28 Dendy Street, Middle Brighton, Ogg died on 31 March 1932 survived by his wife Edith née Bowman and son.  His mausoleum is one of the finest and most elaborate at the Brighton General Cemetery that required the monumental masons, “William Traul & Co” to provide the Cemetery Trust with detailed instructions for future interments (“lift slab on to beam with top resting against innermost side of columns”).

Monumental Headstone

Source:

The Argus 4 April 1932.

The Age 4 April 1932.

“Journal of Royal Victorian Institute of Architects” (May 1932).

“The Heritage of Victoria. The Illustrated Register of the Natural Estate” (1983).

Previous ] Next ] Return to Menu ]
 

Last Updated: 01-Sep-2008 18:19.