George Herbert

 
(c1855-1926)  
Professor of Music & Conductor In Brief
 

The Ballarat Courier reports that Herbert was born at Lyons Street, South Ballarat and educated at Martin’s School; as a youth he was articled to a Mr A. Farrar, music warehouseman of Stuart Street.  After “carefully saving his resources” he went to London to study at the Royal Academy of Music and on returning established a music business in the town.  As conductor of the Ballarat Liedertafel and the Ballarat Orchestral Society, in later years Herbert held the position of “metropolitan examiner for London College of Music”.  He took a leading part in production at Ballarat of “many grand and comic operas, and for years filled the foremost place in the musical life of Ballarat”.  Around 1911, he left Ballarat and became organist and choir master at St. Andrew’s Church, Brighton residing at The Gables - 7 Brandon Street, Brighton.  A member of the Masonic Lodge, his last four years before his death on 10 October 1926 were spent bed stricken.

Monumental Headstone

Source:

The Ballarat Courier 11 October 1926.

The Argus 12 October 1926.

The Herald 11 October 1926.

Previous ] Next ]

If you have any further information to add to this biography, send it to info@brightoncemetery.com.  All contributions will be gratefully acknowledged.

 
 

Last Updated: 01-Sep-2008 19:24.