Tamworth, Staffordshire, England, Long arrived in Victoria in December 1857
on the Shakespeare with friend Robert Marriott (1838-96), who went on
to become a well-known market gardener in the area. After together trying
their luck on the diggings in Bendigo, the trior moved to Caulfield, took up
land in Grange Road between the Glenhuntly and Ormond railway stations,
where they prospered; Long went on to marry Robert’s sister Elizabeth (d
1905) who had attended the same school in Tamworth; they had six sons,
Frederick, Edwin, Arthur, Rudolph, Ernest and Gordon. Until 1885 he
undertook general farming. During the mad 1880s, Long was elected to the
local Caulfield Shire Council (1887-c1907) serving one term as President in
1891-92, “during his term in the council, the municipality made good
progress, and much valuable work was done by Mr Long”. A foundation member
of the Elsternwick Club, Long “also took an active interest in all local
public matters” and was a Justice of the Peace regularly attending to his
duties at the Caulfield Police Court. He died on 26 April 1924 survived by
his second wife whom he married in 1913. A photo taken of the Caulfield
Borough Council in 1901 shows a seated Long, upright and tall, gruff almost
working-class in appearance, bald with untrimmed moustache.
Brighton Southern Cross 3 May 1924.
Murray, P & Wells, J., “From sand, swamp and
heath…A History of Caulfield” (1980).
Index of Inward Passenger Lists for British
and Foreign Ports 1852-1923 (Fiche B138, Page 7).
[ Previous ] [ Next ]